My company will be outsourcing one of the major client projects to one of China's more succesful call centers based in Shanghai. I have been selected to go there and train up the new recruits and set up the processeses. I have 2 weeks to fully train the new recruits of all the jumbo mumbos before the project goes live somewhere in November.

I was required to screen through potential candidates recommended by our counterpart in Shanghai, and select 6 qualified agents and a team lead. Qualified candidates will need to have strong command of English language in terms of understanding technical terms in the IT industry.
It was a real challenge because all the training materials are in English while I need to train them in both English and Mandarin. Most of the interviewee was not successful because of poor English proficiency. Its no surprise since people there don't generally speak English.


I've only been given RM50 a day as my allowance which is equivalent to approximately 100 Ren Min Bi. What the heck? How do you survive in foreign countries with just that? The company will be arranging my flight and accomodation. Forget about first class flight and a classy hotel. I heard from the project coordinator that I'll be staying in some budget hotel without internet access. Just great...

Hopefully the project will be successful. Once it goes live, I'll still need to closely monitor them and handle escalations until I slowly delegate the task to my agents back home.

0 comments